Surgery Residency Program
University of North Dakota General Surgical Residency Program is an ACGME fully accredited 5 year general surgery training program.
Residents obtain broad based training at our three core institutions, Sanford Health System, a large tertiary referral, and level I trauma center, Altru Health System, a community hospital, and level II trauma center, and the Veterans Administration Hospital in Fargo. Our program encourages early operative experience, with many graduates completing over 1100 major cases during training. There are also no surgical subspecialty fellows to compete with for experience. In each class two of our five residents participate in a rural tract pathway, which specifically prepares them for practice in a rural environment.
Life in Fargo – https://fargond.gov/explore/about-fargo/far-more
Life in Grand Forks – https://www.visitgrandforks.com/things-to-do/
Message from the Program Director
Resident Program Perspectives
- Roane County Medical Center, Kingston, Tenn.
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship, University of Iowa
- Lake Region Healthcare, Fergus Fall, Minn.
- Surgical Critical Care Fellowship, University of Minnesota
- Perham Health Clinic, Perham, Minn.