Our team offers a six-year curriculum leading to the Doctor of Physical Therapy (D.P.T.) degree.
Acceptance into the program is on a competitive basis, with the major determinant being the prerequisite science grade point average SGPA). Today, the program accepts 52 students annually out of an average of 150 applicants. Specific acceptance rates are available upon request.
Resident and Non-resident admissions is open to both residents and non-residents of North Dakota. WICHE admission is for WICHE-certified students eligible for admission through the WICHE process. Wyoming and Hawaii currently offer support for physical therapy WICHE students. Alaska may provide support.
Resident and Non-resident Student Admissions
Students eligible to apply for the professional program must complete:
- Application. Apply through PTCAS and submit a UND School of Graduate Studies application form. Applications are available online starting in July through December 15.
- Transcripts. Refer to PTCAS for transcript requirements.
- Three letters of reference. Follow PTCAS directions.
- GRE scores. Use the GRE Designated Institution Code of 0541 U North Dakota PTCAS when indicating UND Physical Therapy as a score recipient.
- COVID-19 Observation Hours Statement: The department recognizes that the COVID pandemic has limited the available opportunities for observation hours and, therefore, the requirement for observation hours was suspended. We continue to highly recommend completing 40-60 observation hours to increase knowledge of the field of physical therapy prior to program application.
- Interview. Interview dates and times are established in September, November and February. Each applicant is expected to be available for a personal interview.
There are three different options for admission to the professional DPT program at UND during the current application cycle (2021-2022). Early acceptance interviews will occur in September and additional acceptance options will occur in November and February. Individuals with fully completed applications, verified transcripts and higher prerequisite science GPAs receive a scheduling preference for interview dates.
Option 1: Early Acceptance
- Applicants who 1) have completed all science prerequisite courses with a GPA of 3.7 or higher AND 2) are ND residents OR have completed all post-secondary (post-high school) coursework at UND.
- Application Deadline: August 15
- Interview Timeline: September
- Applicants who 1) have completed 8 of the 10 science prerequisite courses with a GPA of 3.5 or higher at time of application AND 2) will have completed all science prerequisite courses by the end of December.
- Individuals who submit complete applications will be considered for interviews and acceptance.
- Application Deadline: October 15
- Interview Timeline: November
- Individuals who submit complete applications by December 15 will be considered for interviews and acceptance. Any applicants from Option 1 and Option 2 without a previous acceptance notification will be considered for admission in Option 3.
- Application Deadline: December 15
- Interview Timeline: February/March