Our program strives to continuously find ways to promote and enhance resident well-being, combat burnout, and help our residents find meaning in medicine.
This is a quality our program finds unique and unmatched by most programs. Your well-being is our top priority. We support individual resident wellness with various resources and programs outlined below:
- Employee Assistance Program
- North Dakota Professional Health Program
- Burnout Survey
- Sanford Health Employee Assistance Program
- Sanford Health - Live Well, Be Well
- UND Resident Advocate
Each resident is provided four wellness day per academic year (1 wellness day per quarter). These are used on elective months to provide protected time for resident well-being, no questions asked. Our program understands that residents are people first and doctors second. Life happens and we need time to manage it!
TY Program Retreat
Each year our program hosts an offsite retreat as a time for the team to connect outside of the hospital setting. The topics addressed during this retreat vary each year based on resident interests, though we are always sure to end the day with some fun! This retreat is a great time for residents to connect with one another, as well as with program leadership, in a low-stress environment.
Each quarter we dedicate our academic half-day to resident wellness. A recent example was lunch in the park followed by an afternoon pickle ball tournament!
Other Wellness Offerings
- Weekly emails from Sanford’s Clinician Wellness Council.
- Sanford Medical Education Connecteam Mobile App.
- Quarterly “All Resident Connect” virtual sessions centered on the goal of connecting residents and fostering discussion of resident-related wellbeing topics.
- Celebration of holidays including, but not limited to our holiday break schedule, Thank a Resident Day, birthdays… etc…
- Off-site elective rotation which residents can use in the last block of the academic year to transition to their advanced programs.
- Head-start to residency orientation during first few days of July.