MS in Medical Laboratory Science
Admission to the MS in MLS program at UND is on a competitive basis. All applicants must meet the general requirements for admission to UND's School of Graduate Studies, as well as the following program admission requirements:
- BA or BS degree and successful completion of the CLS (NCA), or MT/MLS (ASCP) certification examinations (must include proof of certification with School of Graduate Studies application)
- Cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) for the junior and senior years of undergraduate work: Applicants not meeting this requirement can still apply and may be granted provisional acceptance
- Satisfy the School of Graduate Studies' English Language Proficiency requirements as published in graduate catalog
- At least two years of prior work experience in the field of medical laboratory science is preferred (include a resume documenting applicable work experience with the School of Graduate Studies application)
Those interested in applying to the program must complete a full application for the MS in MLS program. Visit the UND School of Graduate Studies for completion of application materials. The application will require:
- General demographic and educational information
- Official copies of college transcripts (note: foreign transcripts must be WES evaluated)
- A personal statement
- Statements should be 1-2 doubled-spaced pages total
- Statements should address:
- Your background including skills and experiences that have readied you for graduate-level coursework
- Your purpose and goals for completing the MS in MLS program
- Why you feel the UND MS in MLS program is right for you and your goals
- Letters of Recommendation (3)
- Three total letters; no more than one letter from UND MLS faculty
- Letters should be from individuals who have interacted with you from a supervisory perspective in an academic (ex. previous instructor) or professional/clinical (ex. supervisor, lead tech, etc.) capacity; Letters should no be from family members or personal friends
- Proof of MLS (MT or CLS) certification
- A resume or CV (recommended)
The application must be completed in full by the following deadlines:
- To begin coursework in the spring semester (Jan – May): November 1
- To begin coursework in the fall semester (Aug – Dec): July 1
Notification of admission status will be made within four weeks of the application deadlines.
Click the link below for more information on degree and course requirements (scroll down to the Degree Requirements & Curriculum sections).
MS in MLS Course Information
Graduate MLS courses are offered in spring (January - May) and fall (August - December) semesters on a set rotation cycle. Students can choose how many courses to take each semester. Many MS in MLS graduate students are working professionally while taking courses and average 1-3 courses per semester (2-6) credits.
Students admitted to the MS in MLS program will have access to course registration information prior to each semester. The information will be available through the MS in MLS Graduate Community site in Blackboard.
Helpful Course Handouts
If you would like more information about the MS in MLS program, contact:
MS in MLS Graduate Program Coordinator