Clinical experiences are a crucial component of the UND physical therapy curriculum. These experiences meld the academic information with the "hands-on" clinical experience. Students participate in direct delivery of physical therapy services in a variety of settings under the direction and supervision of one or more clinical instructors (CIs). A Physical Therapist is on-site during the delivery of any service by a student physical therapist.
The clinical component of the UND physical therapy curriculum is comprised of four nine-week clinical affiliations; two during the fall semester of the second year in the professional program and two during the spring semester of the third year in the professional program. Focus of student clinical experiences during the second year are in-patient acute care and out-patient orthopedic. The focus during the third year primarily consists of neuro experiences and the students' area of interest.
Adherence to the APTA code of ethics, APTA standards of practice, and the UND SMHS physical therapy program core values are expected. In addition, students are expected to uphold high ethical and moral standards during clinical experiences including interactions with all parties involved.
Please find below some resource references for our students, clinical (CI/SCCEs) faculty and academic (DCE/Assistant DCE) contacts.
Clinical Experience Dates (subject to change)
Spring 2021 Semester
- January 4 - March 3, 2021 (3rd year student/clinical experience #3)
- March 8 - May 5, 2021 (3rd year student/clinical experience #4)
Fall 2021 Semester
- August 16 - October 13, 2021 (3rd year student/clinical experience #1)
- October 18 - December 15, 2021 (3rd year student/clinical experience #2)
Resource Links for Clinical/Academic Faculty
- Clinical Faculty Handbook
- NPCEC Student Supervisor Guidelines (April 2014)
- Course Objectives/Descriptions:
- Educational Modules for Clinical Faculty:
- APTA PT CPI:
Resource Links for Students
- Student Handbook 2020-2021
- UND Clinical Agreement (reference copy of general content)
- Definitions of Performance Dimensions and Rating Scale Anchors (for PT CPI Web)
Cindy Flom-Meland, PT, Ph.D., NCS
Director of Clinical Education (DCE)