Summer Institute (SI)
*Summer Institute 2021 will be conducted ONLINE*
- Orientation and informational meetings June 17-18
- Curriculum June 21-July 16
- Office hours with Brittany (Zoom Link):
- Tuesdays 2:30-3:30pm CST
- Thursdays 5:30-6:30 CST
American Indian/Alaska Native students in grades 7-12 are encouraged to participate in the annual INMED SI.
What is Summer Institute?
- SI is a 6-week academic enrichment session for students who are interested in exploring careers and fields of study in health care.
- SI provides students an opportunity to enhance their potential for success in a health career through daily classes in biology, chemistry, communications/study skills, health with basic first aid, math and physics. These courses are vital for a successful health career.
- In addition to the coursework, SI participants are given the opportunity to experience life on a college campus, listen to successful American Indian health professionals, learn more about various health careers, participate in educational field trips, and meet other American Indian students from across the United States.
- Sixty students are selected each year to participate in SI. Supervision is provided on a 24-hour-a-day basis for the entire six-week period. All educational expenses (i.e., room and board, transportation) are paid by the program with funds from our Indian Health Service grant.
SI 2021 APPLICATION- CLOSED March 30th
2021 Application Checklist:
- Completed application form
- Official academic transcript (submit only after 1st semester or 2nd quarter grades become available)
- Typed & signed autobiographical sketch
- Three letters of recommendation (Three blank copies can be found in the application document. Extra blank copies of the recommendation form can be accessed here)
- Documentation of tribal enrollment and/or descendency from a federally recognized tribe
- Application acknowledgment, press release and photo release signatures (both applicant AND parent/guardian must sign)
* Due to the ongoing COVID pandemic, Summer Institute 2021 will be conducted online, and the program dates may be adjusted. Announcements regarding dates will be made as early as possible, and any changes will be communicated as quickly as information can be confirmed.
Return all application materials to:
Or by mail:University of North Dakota School of Medicine & Health Sciences Indians Into Medicine, E161 1301 N Columbia Road Stop 9037 Grand Forks, ND 58202-9037
For more Information, please contact: