Our program is designed to be a cooperative arrangement between an affiliated histology laboratory, the student, and the UND Histotechnnology program.
Students must have a clinical site before being accepted into the program and will also need to apply and be accepted to the University of North Dakota. Application and acceptance into the program will require commitments and agreements between all three parties; the student, the UND HT program, and the clinical affiliate.
- Completion of an associate degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution;
- Verification of at least a 2.8 GPA;
- Successful completion of the following courses with a C or better:
- Introduction to Chemistry - 4 cr.;
- Concepts of Biology - 4 cr.;
- College Level Math; and
- Clinical site placement.
The program may be started at the beginning of any of three semesters offered annually at UND which begin in August, January, or May. The deadline for initiating the application process (starting the UND application) for each semester is listed below. The program is 19 credits and may be completed over 2 or 3 semester.
Fall Semester - June 1
Spring semester - Nov. 1
Summer semester - March 1
Program Application Process
1. Apply and be accepted by the University of North Dakota as an undergraduate student. At time of UND admission application please select:
- Program of study as Histotechnician Certificate, and
- Method of delivery as "on-campus".
2. Apply to the UND Histology Program.
3. Submit an unofficial transcript to the HT program that verifies the degree awarded and the date that is was conferred and a copy of the diploma. (Required: an Associate's degree or higher.) You can submit via email or fax (701) 777-4746.
4. Have the Candidate Recommendation forms submitted to the HT program. Three recommendations are required from people such as work supervisors or instructors.
5. Submit the Verification of Immunization and Health Status form and proof of health insurance to the program.
Please note that clinical sites may have additional requirements that will need to be met before placement can occur.
6. Complete a Criminal Background Check. The UND School of Medicine & Health Sciences has an agreement with Verified Credentials, Inc. The applicant is responsible for the cost of this service (approximately $45). The student must complete the background check at the time of application. The student’s acceptance to the program is based on a favorable report from this background check.
Directions to access Verified Credentials
Exceptions for acceptance of students may be made by petition to the Department of Medical Laboratory Science Professional and Academic Standards Committee at the University of North Dakota School of Medicine & Health Sciences.
The applications will be reviewed by the Histotechnician Certificate Program Education Coordinator or Program Director. Following acceptance into the program, the student will be allowed to register in the appropriate courses through UND's registration process. Upon successful completion of the program the student will receive a Histotechnician Certificate from UND and they will have met the eligibility requirements for national certification.
Interested in Histotechnology?
If you are a student or institution who is interested in joining the HT program please contact:
Kyleen Newman, MLS(ASCP)CM
Education Specialist, HT Advisor