How to Apply
The UND PA Program seeks applicants meeting admission preferences
April 28, 2022
CASPA Application Opens
Sept. 1, 2022
CASPA Application Deadline
UND Graduate School Application Deadline
Oct. 13, 14, 17, 18, 2022
Interview dates (subject to change)
|Dec. 31, 2022||
Degree Requirements Completed (Bachelor's degree or higher)
The Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA) deadline is September 1, 2022. Applications submitted close to the deadline may not give CASPA sufficient time to verify the application before interview decisions are made. Verification of an application can take up to 4 weeks. Submit your application to CASPA as soon as you have met all prerequisites.
All applications are submitted online through CASPA. Applications are only reviewed once the application has been verified by CASPA. It is the applicant's responsibility to monitor their application status on CASPA and complete all requirements. This will include:
- All transcripts from any academic or professional coursework, including coursework
that may be in-progress or planned. All prerequisite coursework must be completed
and published to an official transcript by the application deadline of September 1.
You may update your in-progress course grades through CASPA by September 1 by manually entering the results of a course in a process called Academic Update. If your coursework does not meet the published standards, plan on applying when
the requirements are met in a future application cycle. In-progress coursework must
be indicated on transcripts sent to CASPA. CASPA will not reevaluate transcripts once
the prerequisite is completed. Consequently, applicants will need to send updated
transcript(s) verifying the completion of previously in-progress prerequisite coursework
(postmarked by September 1) to the UND Graduate School. Do not send updated transcripts
to CASPA after your application is submitted.
- The UND DPAS recognizes that some applicants may be taking courses which may be affected by COVID-19 pandemic. We strongly encourage a letter grade for all courses. However, given this unprecedented event, we will accept S/U courses in prerequisites if that grade was mandated by the school without student choice. Our admission process is a holistic review of your application including previous academic performance to determine success. Provide rationale of S/U courses in your CASPA application under the custom questions section.
- Three strong professional letters of reference which should support a broad variety of combined past experiences. Examples of recommended experiences may include educational (academic advisor and/or faculty member), clinical (physician, PA and/or clinical supervisor), and personal attributes.
- Personal statement addressing the applicant’s aptitude, ability, dedication and commitment to meet the program’s mission to “prepare selected students to become competent physician assistants working collaboratively with physicians, emphasizing primary care in rural areas.”
- Provide a copy of their current health care license/certification (if applicable). Additional health care certifications and licenses may also be added.
- Documentation (i.e. letter from supervisor) verifying experience and total hours.
- Describe the population of your health care experience as rural (population less than 10,000), micropolitan (population 10,000-49,999) or metropolitan (population greater than 50,000) area.
- Explain personal ties to North Dakota.
Complete Application to UND Graduate School
Complete the online application to the UND Graduate School by September 1, 2022. There is a $35 application fee.
References, transcripts, and your personal statement are NOT required with this application since they are submitted to CASPA. However, any transcript(s) verifying the completion of previously in-progress prerequisite coursework is required to be sent and postmarked by the September 1 deadline to the UND Graduate School.
If your qualifying bachelor's degree (or higher) has not been conferred on your transcript sent to CASPA by September 1, please note your degree MUST be completed by December 31. Once you have graduated, an official transcript showing the conferral of the degree must be sent and postmarked by February 1 to the UND Graduate School. Once it arrives, it will be scanned and attached to your UND Graduate School application. Do not send transcripts directly to the UND PA Program.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score submission required of all non-native speakers of English. Only the Internet Based Test (IBT) form of the TOEFL will be accepted. An overall score of 76 is required.
Please review Academic and Technical Standards for matriculation, promotion, and graduation.
An invitation for interview is sent to those selected to move forward in the application process within 3-6 weeks following the application deadline. Many aspects of the application are reviewed to determine the most qualified applicants in each application cycle.
The interview process may vary from one-on-one interviews to panel interviews depending upon the application year. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information at that time.
Once the interview process is complete, applicants will be notified regarding their status in the application cycle. Interviewed applicants selected to move forward in the process will be notified within 3-6 weeks after the last scheduled interview date.
Prior to Matriculation
Students invited to matriculate will receive additional program information. Requirements to matriculate include:
- Mandatory Immunizations and TB Screening Form through Student Health Services.
- A Criminal Background Check is required of each student after acceptance into the program. The UND School of Medicine & Health Sciences has an agreement with Verified Credentials, Inc. to perform this check. The student is responsible for the cost of this service. (At present, the cost is $45). If a student declines to undergo criminal background check and health screening or if findings of a grievous nature are revealed, the offer of admission may be revoked. SMHS Criminal History Background Check Policy