RuralMed is a state-sponsored tuition program designed to increase the number of family medicine providers practicing in rural North Dakota.
Students accepted for RuralMed will have the cost of tuition paid for in return for practicing in rural North Dakota.
This program accepts applications from first-year medical students enrolled at the UND School of Medicine & Health Sciences. A maximum of eight students will be accepted each year.
The student must:
- Enroll as a regular medical student at UND
- Maintain status in good standing throughout four years of education
- Enter a graduate residency in family medicine, internal medicine* or general surgery*
- Establish a full-time family medicine, internal medicine* or general surgery* practice in rural North Dakota within six months of completing their graduate residency
- Practice family medicine, internal medicine* or general surgery* in rural North Dakota for five calendar years
*Internal Medicine and general surgery are only for those who sign a RuralMed contract in selected specialty.