School of Medicine & Health Sciences faculty and staff win UND Founders Day awards
GRAND FORKS, N.D.—Several UND School of Medicine & Health Sciences (SMHS) faculty and staff were recognized at UND’s 2018 Founders Day Banquet, held Thursday, Feb. 22, 2018. Two representatives of the School were given major teaching and research awards, respectively, while seven were honored for 25 years-of-service to the University. The Department of Biomedical Sciences also won an award for research excellence.
SMHS awardees at the 2018 UND Founders Day:
Faculty and Departmental Awards
- The UND Foundation/McDermott Faculty Award for Graduate or Professional Teaching Excellence: Sarah Nielsen, Associate Professor of Occupational Therapy, School of Medicine & Health Sciences
- The UND Foundation/McDermott Faculty Achievement Award for Excellence in Research: Colin Combs, Professor of Biomedical Sciences, School of Medicine & Health Sciences
- The UND Award for Departmental Excellence in Research: SMHS Department of Biomedical Sciences
Twenty-five years of service
- Edith Green, Microbiology Laboratory Manager, Department of Biomedical Sciences
- Kathleen Hiller, Registered Nurse, School of Medicine & Health Sciences – Minot Center for Family Medicine
- Geralyn Lunski, Administrative Assistant, Department of Surgery
- Peggy Mohr, Professor, Department of Physical Therapy
- Sharlene Rakoczy, Research Specialist, Department of Biomedical Sciences
- Stephen Reller, Account Technician, School of Medicine & Health Sciences
- John Shabb, Associate Professor, Department of Biomedical Sciences
Many more SMHS faculty and staff who retired over the past fiscal year were also recognized at the event.
This year’s Founders Day marked the 135th anniversary of the signing of the Dakota Territory legislation establishing the University of North Dakota in Grand Forks. The first celebration of Founders Day was held in 1904.
# # #
Brian James Schill
Assistant Director, Office of Alumni & Community Relations
University of North Dakota School of Medicine & Health Sciences
701.777.2733 direct | 701.777.4305 office
brian.schill@UND.edu | med.und.edu