Continuous Quality Improvement
The Office of Medical Program Accreditation and Quality Assurance (OMPAQA) is charged by the Dean with LCME accreditation auditing responsibilities for the program leading to the M.D. degree.
Through a process of continuous quality assurance efforts, OMPAQA strives to meet the expectations set out in the LCME Standards and Elements in order for the UND SMHS medical program to achieve reaccreditation and to improve the education of its medical students.
- Assume managerial oversight of the medical program’s three LCME Accreditation Standards Review committees: Education Accreditation Standards Review Committee (EASRC), Student Accreditation Standards Review Committee (SASRC), Faculty Accreditation Standards Review Committee (FASRC).
- Identify areas that may require quality improvement and report associated findings to the Dean’s Quality Improvement Group (DQIP) and, where appropriate, to the Undergraduate Medical Education Committee (UMEC), UMEC committees, and medical program offices.
- Monitor ongoing QI projects.
- Assist in the development of short and long term programmatic goals.
- Organize, arrange, convene and lead meetings, and maintain minutes, action tables, and other relevant documents for each of the Accreditation Standards Review committees.
- Maintain and update the Data Collection Instrument (DCI).
- Collaborate with the Chief of Staff in managing the work of the Dean’s Quality Improvement Group.
- As Chief Accreditation Officer, the Assistant Dean for Medical Accreditation leads
and reports to the Dean.
- OMPAQA has a bidirectional reporting relationship with DQIP.
The relationship between the accreditation review committees and OMPAQA is as follows:
Dean’s Quality Improvement Group (DQIP)
The Dean’s Quality Improvement Group (DQIP) is charged by the Dean to oversee the quality improvement processes of the medical program.
It is the expectation of the Dean that all committees and offices serving the medical education program have continuous quality improvement (CQI) practices embedded in their functions.
To engage the medical education program in ongoing planning and continuous quality improvement processes which result in the achievement of measurable outcomes and in particular reaccreditation success.
- Identifies by data analysis potential problem areas within the medical education program and requests that further consideration be given by the appropriate committees and offices in order to determine whether QI projects are warranted.
- Monitors the progress and outcome measures related to the QI projects undertaken by committees and offices.
- Members of the Dean’s Executive Committee who have responsibilities to the medical education program
- The Dean of UND SMHS
- Chair of UMEC
- Elected faculty member (3-year term)
- Elected student member (2-year term)
- Assistant Dean for Medical Accreditation
- UND SMHS Chief of Staff
- Chair: Selected by the Dean
DQIP reports to the UND Vice President for Health Affairs. See diagram above depicting the QA and QI Systems within the Medical Program.