Department of Surgery resources for students at the University of North Dakota.
American College of Surgeons Medical Student Membership
Students at all levels may apply for Medical Student Membership with the American College of Surgeons. The Department of Surgery will pay for the initial application fee, and there are no annual dues required. The membership will expire upon graduation from medical school, but the student may transfer to Resident Members status when entering a surgical residency training program.
- Online access to the Journal of the American College of Surgeons (JACS)
- Attendance at the Clinical Congress without a registration fee when registered in advance
- Discounted textbooks purchased at Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
- Discounted PDA hardware and software
- Access to "Members Only" side of ACS website
- Representation on selected ACS Committees
American College of Surgeons National Tutorial Seminars for Medical Students
During July – August 2020, the National Tutorial Seminars for Medical Students webinar series is being presented by the American College of Surgeons. These online tutorial seminars are based on a national core curriculum and conducted by expert faculty in various surgical specialties. They highlight the foundational principles of surgery and are targeted for students in their core surgical clerkships. Registration is required for each topic and available at no charge. You can sign up based on your schedule and attend the topics of your choice.
We encourage you to log in five minutes early to ensure a smooth start. Too, we hope you will answer four short questions at the end of each presentation to help us attain the highest educational value with this series. Note that there are limited seats available.
- Please review the goals and objectives, and the content, of each module prior to the webinar.
- Please send your questions about a topic 48 hours ahead of time, and they will be incorporated into the presentation. Live Q&A will be offered at each session as time allows.
American College of Surgeons Operation Giving Back
Operation Giving Back is the volunteerism initiative of the American College of Surgeons. Its mission is to leverage the passion, skills, and humanitarian ethos of the surgical community to effectively meet the needs of the medically underserved.
American College of Surgeons So, You Want To Be a Surgeon
A medical student's online guide to finding and matching with the best possible surgery residency.
North Dakota Chapter of American College of Surgeons
Wayne M. Swenson, M.D. Award
Medical students (years 1–4) attending the University of North Dakota School of Medicine & Health Sciences are invited to prepare and submit an original surgically related paper to the ND Chapter of American College of Surgeons. This would be most appropriate for 3rd-year medical student clinical research projects. If your paper is selected, you will be asked to present the paper at the joint North Dakota/South Dakota chapter meeting held each year in April. Attendance at the state meeting will be paid by the Chapter. The student presenting the winning paper will receive a monetary award and the Wayne M. Swenson, M.D., Award plaque.
American Medical Student Association
AMSA provides a forum for medical students, premedical students and practicing physicians with the goal of promoting and providing a resource for learning and critical thinking.
- American Association for Thoracic Surgery
- American Association for the Surgery of Trauma
- American Journal of Surgery
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Association for Surgical Education
- International Council of Ophthalmology
- Royal College of Surgeons
- Society for Vascular Surgery