Emergency Medicine Journal Club
Below you'll find a schedule, readings, and recordings of Journal Club presentations by Dr. Solberg and students in UND Department of Emergency Medicine courses.
Emergency Medicine Journal Club Schedule 2023-2024
Open to all UND students (first through fourth year) and teaching faculty on the second Thursday of each fourth year period.
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Login Information: https://und.zoom.us/j/93603427021
Meeting ID: 936 0342 7021
Journal Club Guide: click this link to open the Journal Club Guide to fill out prior to the discussion.
Period 1: July 13, 2023
- Santorelli JE, Chau H, Godat L, et al. Not so FAST—chest ultrasound underdiagnoses traumatic pneumothoraxJ Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2022;92:44-48.
Period 2: August 10, 2023
- Kam W, Holmes DN, Hernandez AF, et al. Association of recent use of non–vitamin K antagonist oral anticoagulants with intracranial hemorrhage among patients with acute ischemic stroke treated with alteplase 2022;327:760-771.
Period 3: September 7, 2023
- Bougouin WB, Slimani K, Renaudier M, et al. Epinephrine versus norepinephrine in cardiac arrest patients with post-resuscitation shock.Intensive Care Med. 2022;48:300-310.
Period 4: October 5, 2023
- Russell DW, Casey JD, Gibbs KW, et al. Effect of Fluid Bolus Administration on Cardiovascular Collapse Among Critically Ill Patients Undergoing Tracheal Intubation: A Randomized Clinical Trial. 2022;328(3):270-279.
Period 5: November 2, 2023
- Drekonja DM, Trautner B, Amundson C, et al. Effect of 7 vs 14 days of antibiotic therapy on resolution of symptoms among afebrile men with urinary tract infection: a randomized clinical trial. 2021;326: 324-331.
Period 6: November 30, 2023
- Kearon C, de Wit K, Parpia S, et al. Diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis with D-dimer adjusted to clinical probability: prospective diagnostic management study. 2022;376:e067378.
Period 7: January 11, 2024
- Shastry, S, Aluise, ER, Richardson, LD, et al. Delayed QT prolongation: derivation of a novel risk factor for adverse cardiovascular events from acute drug overdose.J Med Toxicol. 2021;17:363-371.
Period 8: February 8, 2024
- Moore JC, Pepe PE, Scheppke KA, et al. Head and thorax elevation during cardiopulmonary resuscitation using circulatory adjuncts is associated with improved survival. 2022;179:9-17.
Period 9: March 7, 2024
- Cheskes S, Verbeek PR, Drennan IR, et al. Defibrillation strategies for refractory ventricular fibrillation.N Engl J Med. 2022;387:1947-1956.
Period 10: April 4, 2024
- The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Prevention and Early Treatment of Acute Lung Injury Clinical Trials Network. Early restrictive or liberal fluid management for sepsis-induced hypotension.N Engl J Med. Published online January 21, 2023.
- Dr. Fauci speaks about vaccine distribution
Sept. 18, 2020
Oct. 16, 2020
Nov. 13, 2020
Journal Club - Misuse of Prescribed Opioids
Feb. 5, 2021
Journal Club - Targeted Temperature Management for Cardiac Arrest with Nonshockable Rhythm
Sept. 7, 2023
Journal Club - Epinephrine versus norepinephrine in cardiac arrest patients with post-resuscitation shock
Intensive Care Medicine. 2022;48:300-310
- Jon Solberg, MD, Chairman Department of Emergency Medicine
- David Collins, MD, Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine
- Sandi Bates, MLIS, SW Clinical Campus Librarian
- Janet Anderson, MLS, NW Clinical Campus Librarian