Administration & Finance
The SMHS Administration & Finance team assures the best possible business practices, in accordance with North Dakota University System policies.
- Financial planning
- Budgetary management
- Grant and contract management
- Accounting and auditing functions
- Records and information management
- Human resource management
The department also provides advisement and final processing for all School of Medicine & Health Sciences (SMHS) financial, payroll, human resource, and facilities paperwork. The department acts as a liaison between the SMHS and University of North Dakota administrative departments.
Customer Service Commitment
We are committed to providing accurate, timely and solution-oriented service. We look for ways to improve efficiency and foster an environment of open communication so that we may ultimately provide service excellence. Our goal is to be a partner to our customer, a valuable resource, in providing solutions.
Provide service excellence through consistent practices.
Address our customers with a greeting and smile.
Listen to Understand
Actively listen, without interruption, repeat or rephrase to clarify understanding.
Keep customer informed. Provide options and alternatives. If referring on, provide customer with the contact person’s name and extension. Or notify the team member of the customer’s request and contact info.
Be courteous and respectful. Maintain confidentiality and privacy.
Respond to phone and email within the next business day.
Remain open to and solicit feedback. Put ourselves in the customers’ shoes. Identify opportunities to improve and potential solutions.
- Financial oversight and policies
- Legislative session process
- Signature on contracts
- Legal questions on contracts
- Tuition pricing/concerns
- Alumni funds
- Deans commitments - jointly with budget contacts
- CFM oversight
- Leadership/oversight of financial operations/processes - in conjunction with COO
- Develop college level financial reports
- Collaborate on cross functions, i.e., Resource Planning & Allocation, AVP of Finance, CBO, Finance Collaboration
- CFM Oversight
- Medical Service Plans (MSP)
- Residency Program Financial Oversight
- Forecasting & Modeling
- Liaison to Auditors
- Serve on Senate Budget Committee as Staff Senate Representative
(UND Facilities is backup Phone #: 777-2591)
- Facilities questions
- Building safety and security questions
- Space/room allocation-with Judy Solberg
- Budget questions
- Budget training in conjunction with central office
- Deans commitments
(Central office is backup 701.777.4226)
- For staff: benefits, professional development
- Hiring process: AppliTrack, request to recruit
- Onboarding staff- Everify; Off-boarding/exit process
- Benefits- Central HR
- HRMS training- Central HR
- Job data changes, salary reviews and market adjustments
- Staff overload
- Add Pay forms
- Performance, staff relations
- Annual performance review process
- Records and Information Management oversight and policies
- Records retention questions
- University Archive requests
- Open records requests and legal record questions
- SMHS DocuSign - technical questions, setup of new DocuSign agreements
- Assists COO; calendar management
- Records assistant, backup for Susan
- Records coordinator
- Records, files, folders and searches in Versatile
- Insurance contact (malpractice liability, BCBS residents, guardian disability)
- SMHS DocuSign-user setup, education on process
- Contracts database of agreements maintained-reports furnished
- Shredder/shredder bags and third-floor shredding tote