Staff Recruitment Process
Required Forms for Recruitment
The following instructions apply to benefited staff only.
1. Position Request/Change Form
A Position Request/Change Form is used if a new position needs to be created or an existing position modified.
2. Position Description Form with Black/White Org Chart
A Position Description Form is used to establish the duties/responsibilities of the position. A current PD must be on file prior to a position being advertised. A black and white organization chart must be attached to the PD.
3. Request to Recruit/Appoint - Non-Faculty Form
A Request to Recruit/Appoint – Non-Faculty Form is used to obtain all required approval signatures prior to recruitment. Those signatures include:
- Medicine – Marc Basson, M.D.
- Health Sciences – Thomas Mohr, Ph.D.
- Biomedical Sciences – Colin Combs, Ph.D.
- SMHS Deans and Centers reporting to the Dean – Joshua Wynne, M.D., M.B.A., M.P.H.
- Administrative Units/Functions – Respective Dean
- Department completes the required form(s) listed above and obtains appropriate departmental signatures. All forms should be uploaded into Recruiting Solutions in PDF format.
- Department submits a job opening via the Recruiting Solutions (located within in PeopleSoft HRMS). If you have never accessed Recruiting Solutions, please contact the SMHS Human Resources Office for information on how to gain access.
- Once all SMHS approvals have been obtained, UND HR creates official job posting from the electronic requisition. The requisition will then be open for normal recruiting (10 business days, internal and external simultaneously). When the position closes, the applications will be reviewed and screened by UND HR; an Interview Summary Sheet (ISS) containing the names of screened candidates will be forwarded to the department. Full application materials for each candidate can be downloaded/saved/printed from Recruiting Solutions.
- Department reviews screened applications and conduct interviews. All individuals screened to the department must be interviewed by the supervisor and at least one additional individual. Interview committee participants may be appointed by the supervisor, if necessary. Interview questions should be prepared and uniformly asked of each candidate. Interview and reference check guidelines, tips, and sample questions may be found in the Manager’s Toolbox on the UND HR website.
- Department documents hire/non-hire comments on the Interview Summary Sheet, obtains appropriate signature(s), and submits in PDF format to the SMHS Human Resource Office.
- The SMHS HR Manager reviews the comments, uploads the ISS to Recruiting Solutions and notifies the appropriate UND HR official that the selection is approved. At this time, the department may contact their top candidate to discuss salary and start date, and to inform the candidate to expect an e-mail for completion of the criminal history background check information. Departments must clearly communicate to the candidate that a final offer of employment is contingent upon affirmative action and background check approvals.
- Once the department has been notified by UND HR that the EEO/AAO has approved the selection, they may proceed to input the background check information into Recruiting Solutions.
- Once the background check comes back clear, the department may make a formal offer to the selected candidate. A letter of offer template will be completed as part of the hire process for the candidate to sign as their formal acceptance (see Staff Appointment Process). If the background check comes back with any notification other than clear, please follow up with either SMHS HR or UND HR.
Revised October 2020