Scholarships & Awards
RuralMed is a state-sponsored tuition program designed to increase the number of family medicine providers practicing in rural North Dakota.
Students accepted for RuralMed will have the cost of tuition paid for in return for practicing in rural North Dakota.
This program accepts applications from first-year medical students enrolled at the UND School of Medicine & Health Sciences. A maximum of eight students will be accepted each year.
The student must:
- Enroll as a regular medical student at UND
- Maintain status in good standing throughout four years of education
- Enter a graduate residency in family medicine, internal medicine* or general surgery*
- Establish a full-time family medicine, internal medicine* or general surgery* practice in rural North Dakota within six months of completing their graduate residency
- Practice family medicine, internal medicine* or general surgery* in rural North Dakota for five calendar years
*Internal Medicine and general surgery are only for those who sign a RuralMed contract in selected specialty.
Medical students must be enrolled at the UND SMHS, and meet merit, financial need and/or other criteria to be eligible for these scholarships. In order to be reviewed for a scholarship, medical students must submit the Multi-Scholarships Application by the posted deadline of April 30 by 11:59 pm. There will be no extensions to this deadline.
Select scholarships require FAFSA information, a letter to the donor family and/or development of a relationship with a donor. The Scholarship Committee meets in the summer to award the scholarships available for the upcoming academic year. Awards are announced in late summer or early fall.