Requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Six months of fundamental clinical skills experience (three months of Internal Medicine teaching service, one month of intensive care unit, one month ambulatory rotation, one month of Emergency Medicine)
- One-half month of night medicine
- One-half month of research & scholarly activity (PBLI*)
- Five months of electives
*Practice based learning and improvement (PBLI)
This is a 2 week rotation where transitional year residents have the opportunity to self-reflect on their learning needs and the learning environment, and to refresh , regroup and recharge.
During this rotation, residents are encouraged to:
- Identify strengths, deficiencies, and limits in their medical knowledge and expertise (Medical Knowledge, Practice-based Learning and Improvement)
- Appraise and assimilate scientific evidence (Medical Knowledge, Practice-based Learning and Improvement)
- Continuously improve patient care on the basis of constant self-evaluation and lifelong learning (Systems-based Practice, Practice-based Learning and Improvement)
Residents find this activity rejuvenating and are very appreciative of the opportunity.