Once a sponsored project is approaching its end date, there are certain options and procedures that will help bring the project to an orderly and successful completion. No routing form is needed to close a project.
Procedure to Close-Out Sponsored Project
- Review the budget for funds available.
- If the amount remaining will be enough to cover completion of the project, and the project is scheduled to be completed on time, proceed as planned.
- If the amount remaining is adequate, but the time remaining is not, a no-cost extension may be an available option. Please contact SMHS Grants Management to help you proceed with this end date extension.
- If the amount remaining is not adequate, or if particular budget line items require adjustment, please contact SMHS Grants Management to clarify the necessary procedures.
- If the amount remaining is substantial, and it appears that you will have a significant balance at the end of the project, please contact SMHS Grants Management to clarify the necessary procedures.
- If you are awaiting a no-cost extension or next year’s award notice, please contact SMHS Grants Management to complete a memo requesting that this project be switched to a “temporary” status until the receipt of the no-cost extension or award notice.
- Process payroll revision forms to transfer salary appointments to alternative sources of funding.
- Make sure that the UND Postal Services and Telecommunications offices have been notified of an alternative source of funding.
- Submit purchases in order for them to be processed prior to the project termination date.
- Review all outstanding orders. If there are potential problems regarding delivery, payment, or acceptance of the items, please contact SMHS Grants Management.
- Review any outstanding encumbrances to make sure they are paid in full or returned to available budget for final payment of any other outstanding expenses.
- Review all Subcontracts to finalize payment within deadlines.
- If cost share is required for your project, review the cost share commitments to ensure that the required obligation will be met.
Make sure all final reports including the final progress report and the final invention statement (whether or not the funded project resulted in any inventions) are filed by the due date.
UND Grants & Contracts Accounting will submit the final financial report.