Staff Appointment Process
The Staff Recruitment Process must have been followed prior to the appointment of any individual.
The following instructions apply to benefited staff only. The items must be uploaded to Manager's Self-Service (HRMS).
1. Position Description Form with Black/White Org Chart
The Position Description Form with black/white org chart that was used to recruit the position should be populated with the selected candidate’s name and EMPLID, and signed by the supervisor. UND HR will disseminate to the candidate and get the signed copy for the employee’s official personnel file.
2. Offer Letter Template/Transfer Offer Letter Template
The Offer Letter Template should be populated with all information pertinent to the particular hire, and signed by the supervisor. A Transfer Offer Letter Template should be used for internal transfer hires.
3. Request to Recruit/Appoint - Non-Faculty Form
The Request to Recruit/Appoint - Non-Faculty Form is used to obtain all required approval signatures prior to appointment. Populate the form with name of the selected candidate and actual salary offer amount, and obtain appropriate signatures by area to include:
- Medicine – Marc Basson, M.D.
- Health Sciences – Thomas Mohr, Ph.D.
- Biomedical Sciences – Colin Combs, Ph.D.
- SMHS Deans and Centers reporting to the Dean – Joshua Wynne, M.D., M.B.A., M.P.H.
- Administrative Units/Functions – Respective Deans
In addition to the forms noted above, a Position Funding Form should also be submitted to SMHS Administration and Finance (NOT uploaded to MSS hire).
Prior to beginning the appointment/hire process, please view the Manager’s Self Service (MSS) Hire Process Training Presentation (video) and the MSS Hire Training Manual.
SMHS Hire Process
- New employee meets with hire initiator (department) prior to the start date. At this time, the hire is entered and the employee can complete their personal data as soon as they are able to access the information sent to their e-mail address. If it is not possible to hold a face-to-face meeting, the department should clearly communicate the steps necessary for the employee to complete all aspects of the hire process to the employee. When entering the MSS hire, the SMHS (as an E-verify site) should enter the employee’s personal e-mail address. Please disregard any information you may have seen regarding entering an HR e-mail address.
- Employee completes Personal Data Form as instructed in email.
- Hire is routed through approvers.
- New Employee Onboarding (second e-mail) is issued after SMHS HR and UND HR approve the hire, and is to be completed on or before the employee’s first day of work at the department.
- Department will complete Section 2 of the electronic I-9 on or before the employee’s start date, make a color copy of the photo ID shown and write the employee’s EMPLID # on the copy. Please make sure you provide Hiring Packets to new benefited hires at the initial meeting.
- Information will be processed through E-Verify by the appropriate individual (either department if in-house E-Verifier or Administration and Finance) within three days of the start date.
- The E-Verifier will submit the case verification page, the color photo with EMPLID#, and the appropriate benefits forms to UND.payrollbenefits@UND.edu
- Hires must still be entered a minimum of four days prior to start date.
International hires may be entered online, but the employee should be sent to the UND Payroll Office to complete Section 2 of the I-9 form, or the Payroll Office should be called for assistance at 701.777.4890.
Revised October 2017