The SMHS Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion offers a variety of resources for both individuals and departments.
News & Announcements
11.17.21: Great news re the Diversity Elective. We had a great follow up discussion with the leadership at Hennepin County Medical Center (HCMC), and we are set to implement the first test of the Diversity Clinical Elective. Here are some details:
- Dates: Feb 14 – March 11
- Week 1 (Feb 14-18) will be in Grand Forks for didactic sessions
- Weeks 2-4 (Feb 20 – March 11) will be at HCMC and will include the following opportunities:
- Social Work
- Next Step violence intervention program https://www.hennepinhealthcare.org/support-services/next-step-program/
- HC Jail Clinic https://www.startribune.com/mental-illness-in-hennepin-county-jail-far-higher-than-previous-estimates-new-study-finds/394483221/
- Mother Baby Program https://www.mnhospitals.org/newsroom/news/id/1881/hcmcs-mother-baby-program-supports-mental-health-of-new-moms
- Homeless Clinic https://nhchc.org/hennepin-county-health-care-for-the-homeless/
- American Indian Patient Advocate
Racism, Racial Discrimination, and Human Hierarchy in U.S.
Student, Staff, Faculty DEI Resources
- Project Implicit Bias: a non-profit organization and international network of researchers investigating implicit social cognition, or thoughts and feelings that are largely outside of conscious awareness and control. Project Implicit is the product of a team of scientists whose research produced new ways of understanding attitudes, stereotypes, and other hidden biases that influence perception, judgment, and action.
- White Privilege in a White Coat: How Racism Shaped my Medical Education
- Check out this opportunity! Skin of Color Pre-Residency Fellowship July 1, 2022 - June 23, 2023 at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine Department of Dermatology. Requirements include: Curriculum vitae, official or unofficial transcript, personal statement describing why you are interested in the fellowship (250-words), and one letter of recommendation. Please submit your curriculum vitae and 250-word personal statement as a single PDF attachment, saved as “Last Name, First Name SOC Fellowship."
- The Student National Medical Association Annual Medical Education Conference 2022
The Latino Medical Student Association Midwest will host its 32nd Annual LMSA Midwest Regional Conference at the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Feb. 11-12, 2022, in Chicago, Ill. The purpose of this event is to bring together high school, pre‐medical and medical students, as well as residents and physicians from the Midwest who are interested in the healthcare needs of the Latino community. This annual event provides participants with an opportunity to network with one another and expand their knowledge on Latino health issues. The conference also provides attendees with critical insight and information in the areas of leadership and career development.