- Campus Offices
- Continuing Medical Education
- Degree Programs
- Education Resources
- Indians Into Medicine
- Interprofessional Education
- Library Resources
- Simulation Center
- Residency Programs
- Areas of Research
- Grant Resources
- Research Experience for Medical Students (REMS)
- Research Centers
- Center for Comparative Effectiveness Analytics
- Center for Health Promotion and Prevention Research (CHPPR)
- Center for Neurodegenerative Disorder Research
- Center of Biomedical Research Excellence in the Epigenomics of Development and Disease
- Center of Excellence for Host-Pathogen Interactions
- North Dakota IDeA Network of Biomedical Research Excellence (INBRE)
- Rural Health Reform Policy Research Center
- Seven Generations Center of Excellence in Native Behavioral Health
- Clinical Centers
- Service Centers
- Center for Rural Health
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Center
- Mobile Simulation (SIM-ND)
- National Indigenous Elder Justice Initiative
- National Resource Center on Native American Aging
- North Dakota Area Health Education Center (AHEC)
- North Dakota Tobacco Quitline
- Rural Health Information Hub (RHIhub)
- Rural Surgery Support Program
- Simulation Center
- About Us
Department of Medical Laboratory Science
The mission of the Department of Medical Laboratory Science is to educate laboratory professionals to meet the healthcare needs of the state, region, and nation. The Department is dedicated to providing students with the knowledge and skills necessary to succeed as practicing professionals.
The philosophy of the Department of Medical Laboratory Science is to provide high quality laboratory science education to healthcare entities in North Dakota, the region, and nationally. The department strives to provide a cutting-edge learning environment that offers continuing education, certificate, undergraduate, and graduate programs which allow individuals to develop into leaders in the laboratory science field.
The University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS), Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) and Histotechnician programs are committed to providing an educational program consistent with the Medical Laboratory Scientist and Histotechnician standards outlined by the National Accrediting Agency for CLS (NAACLS) which is located at 5600 N River Road, Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018.
MLS Department Goals:
- To provide the student with the entry-level competencies needed to work in their field of study.
- To provide the student with adequate knowledge and background experience to quality for national certification examinations appropriate to the level of education.
- To provide instruction and evaluation based on identified competencies and content of the clinical discipline that is responsive to individual student needs.
- To encourage graduates to remain in the region by providing sufficient clinical experiences in state.
- To provide sufficient medical laboratory science and histotechnician professionals to meet the needs of state, city, and rural communities.
- To increase the depth of learning in various major fields of laboratory sciences.
- To prepare graduates to work in both large and small clinical laboratories.
MLS Assessment Goals:
- To develop an assessment plan that ensures the following: all stakeholders are considered; University goals are incorporated, student learning and quality of teaching are evaluated; continuous monitoring occurs and is documented.
- To have assessment policies and procedures in place that encourage and facilitate departmental viability, quality, and/or continuous improvement.